Exploring Video First Semester Reflection


Overview
Throughout this first semester of video, we captured a wider variety of shot styles, learned how to work with new camera a mic equipment, and practiced writing effective new stories, feature stories, and voiceovers. With different types of leads, video effects, and editing adjustments, we've improved our overall quality of work substantially from last year.

Projects
-Self Portrait
-ONW Procedures
-ONW 1 in 2000 Feature Story
-Advanced Feature Story
-ONW Now Sophomore Edition

Time Management
Time management was a key component to the success of students in video production. I've definitely learned the importance of understanding deadlines and planning accordingly to meet them. For me, the ONW procedures video was a real eye opener on how fast paced the class is and now focused and on task you truly need to be in order to meet expectations not only in the filming process but with the editing as well. On the flip side however, there were also times when I was ahead of schedule and finished sooner than anticipated. In those situations, I learned that there's always room for improvement. Taking time to rework and redo can be very rewarding in the end.

Strengths and Struggles
I feel my biggest strength as a member of video production class is my ability to collaborate with others. I have no issue voicing my opinions to my class or group members. I recognize when things are running smoothly and find ways to troubleshoot when they're not. My biggest struggle is writing the blog posts because I find myself being repetitive and too vague. I hope to better be able to gather my thoughts and broaden my vocabulary in future posts.

ONW Now Sophomore Edition
For our last assignment of first semester, our class as a whole produced our very own ONW Now sophomore edition. My team did a sports story on the varsity girl's basketball team and my job individually was the editor. I took the main lead in sequencing and editing together my team's piece. Overall, it was such a great experience working with new people and getting a feel for what convergence would be like next year as a junior.

Summary/Final Thoughts
Overall, first semester was a success. I've already begun to see such improvement in comparison to last year's work and gotten the opportunity to work with so many new people. My main takeaway was to not get so caught up in the class grade and just take it a day at a time and have fun making videos. One goal I have for next semester is improving my project management and working with people I maybe don't know as well.


Comments