Typography

Background
Before I even began creating any pieces, I first began by learning the basics. Type size, ascender, descender, counter, x height, and baseline are key components to an eye-catching piece of work. From there, I composed a list of 10 quotes that had meaning to me. Some were song lyrics and others were just quotes I liked. I picked my top 4 favorite quotes and began brainstorm different layout and font options.


From there...
Once I had my final quotes, I already had a pretty solid idea of what I visioned them looking like. I wanted something simple, but yet had contrast. I began first by downloading a variety of fonts off dafont.com. I was surprised by how similar many of the font styles were, which made it difficult to chose the perfect one that fit the mood of the quotes. Once I decided on fonts and layouts, I made 2 versions, one in black and white, and one in color. For me, the colors I chose to implements were mainly based of personal preference, and didn't have much meaning towards the quote. However, I did try to make sure they made sense with the type and weren't overwhelming.



Final Thoughts
I had never done much typography previous to this project and really like how my final 4 pieces turned out. I liked the creativity of getting to chose the quotes however, the overall process was slow at times. It took a lot longer than I thought to chose fonts and missing a week of school in the middle really threw off my pacing.











Comments