Varsity Girls' Basketball



This was easily my favorite piece I've gotten to work on this semester. I enjoyed everything from the people I worked with, to the outside filming process, to even the editing process.

Overview
For this final 1st semester piece, I was pared with a group of five consisting of Logan Read, Josh Burton, Maleah Boyd, Ethan Goss, and myself. Our group was assigned a sports segment to produce for the class sophomore edition on ONW Now.

Brainstorming Process
The biggest struggle in brainstorming was the fact that we had slim pickings of which sport we were going to film since the timeline of the project was 2 weeks and only winter sports were in session. Through looking at the availability of our teams outside schedules, and the times of practices, games, tournaments, competitors, etc, for each sport, we decided varsity girl's basketball was the best choice for out group.

Filming
Going into the project, we knew there were many components that needed to be filmed. Some needed to take place during the school day, and others need to be outside of school such as practices and games. With this in mind, we split up tasks among the team and each took a part and then came together in the end to combine everything. Josh stayed after school one day for practice, I went to a tournament game in DeSoto, and Logan, Ethan, and Maleah did the two interviews.

Editing
The editing is the longest process for me per usual. I'm still trying to master audio levels, color correction, the leveling go shots, and different transition techniques to improve my work. With that being said, I feel like the color correction was smooth and consistent throughout the video. In addition, my sequencing made sense and flowed in a way that would make sense to an audience. It was also fun getting to incorporate the official ONW Now graphics for the interviews.

What was the takeaway?
Overall, this was a great experience to have had going into junior year convergence if that's what I chose to do. I enjoyed getting to work with new people and new equipment. The most valuable takeaway I had was realizing that with so many people working on the same project, patience is key.






Comments